India which provides Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) to those who qualify the joint CSIR-UGC Joint Entrance Test for Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for Lectureship (LS) i.e. National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by CSIR twice in a year. The EMR Division under Human Resource and Development (HRD) Group of CSIR provide CSIR Research Fellowship to bright young men and women for training in methods of research under the expert guidance of faculty members /scientists working in University Departments/ National Laboratories and Institutes in various fields of Science & Technology and Medical Sciences. The CSIR Fellowships are tenable in India. Only bonafide Indian citizens, residing in India are eligible for the award of research Fellowship.
- The age limit for JRF (NET) is minimum 19 years and maximum 28 years, which is relaxed upto 5 years in the case of candidates belonging to Schedule Castes/Schedule Tribes, Women, Physically Handicapped and OBC applicants. However for LS (NET) there is no upper age.
- Candidates who have M.Sc. or Equivalent degree in life science with minimum 55% marks for General & OBC candidates; 50% for SC/ST, Physically and Visually Handicapped candidates and Ph.D. degree holders who had passed Master's degree prior to 19th September 1991 are eligible.
- A candidate who is appearing or has appeared in his/her final year (III/IV Semester where Semester system is there) of M.Sc. OR equivalent Degree Examination during the academic Session 2008-2009 can also apply for the Test under RA (Result Awaited) category. Such candidates are admitted to the Test provisionally. They shall only be considered eligible for JRF-(NET)/LS-(NET), if they are able to produce the proof of having passed the Master's Degree examination in the life science with the requisite percentage of marks and within the stipulated time frame
- Candidates qualifying for the award of JRF (NET) will receive fellowship either from CSIR or UGC as per their assignment or from the schemes with which they may find association.
- This Test also determines the eligibility of candidates for Lectureship positions in Indian Universities/Colleges.
- Some aspirants are declared successful in eligibility for Lectureship (NET) category only, based on their performance in the test.